These are the 10 most common benefits reported from massage therapy:
1. Reduce Stress
A relaxing day at the spa is a great way to unwind and de-stress. However, clients are sure to notice themselves feeling relaxed and at ease for days and even weeks after their appointments!
2. Improve Circulation
Loosening muscles and tendons allows increased blood flow throughout the body. Improving your circulation can have a number of positive effects on the rest of your body, including reduced fatigue and pain management!
3. Reduce Pain
Massage therapy is great for working out problem areas like lower back pain and chronic stiffness. A professional therapist will be able to accurately target the source of your pain and help achieve the perfect massage regimen.
4. Eliminate Toxins
Stimulating the soft tissues of your body will help to release toxins through your blood and lymphatic systems.
5. Improve Flexibility
Massage therapy will loosen and relax your muscles, helping your body to achieve its full range of movement potential.
6. Improve Sleep
A massage will encourage relaxation and boost your mood. Going to bed with relaxed and loosened muscles promotes more restful sleep, and you’ll feel less tired in the morning!
7. Enhance Immunity
Stimulation of the lymph nodes re-charges the body’s natural defense system.
8. Reduce Fatigue
Massage therapy is known to boost mood and promote better quality sleep, thus making you feel more rested and less worn-out at the end of the day.
9. Alleviate Depression and Anxiety
Massage therapy can help to release endorphins in your body, helping you to feel happy, energized, and at ease.
10. Reduce post-surgery and post-injury swelling
A professional massage is a great way to safely deal with a sports injury or post-surgery rehabilitation.
“Seratonin and dopamine are released through massage, and the result is a feeling of calm relaxation that makes chronic or habitual stress much easier to overcome.”
what is a massage?
There are several types of massage that focus on different parts of the body or healing approaches. Massage is the practice of rubbing and kneading the body using the hands. During a massage, a massage therapist will apply gentle or strong pressure to the muscles and joints of the body to ease pain and tension. A massage therapist is a person trained in giving massages.
Here are 10 different types of massage:
- Swedish Massage
- Hot Stone Massage
- Sports Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Aromatherapy Massage
- Trigger Point Massage
- Shiatsu Massage
- Thai Massage
- Prenatal Massage
- Choose a Swedish massage for relaxation or managing minor pain.
- This type of massage is also good for people new to massage.
- Hot stone massage may relieve more muscle tension than a Swedish massage because of the added heat.
- This type of massage in usually more expensive than a Swedish massage.
- Sports massage is a good option if you have an injury from repetitive muscle use.
- This type of massage may also help improve flexibility and sports performance, and reduce your risk for injury.
- Deep tissue massage is a good option if you have a lot of muscle tension or chronic pain.
- Avoid this type of massage if you’re overly sensitive to pressure.
- Aromatherapy combines the gentle touches of Swedish massage with the addition of essential oils.
- Do not use this type of massage if you’re sensitive to smell or essential oils.
- Trigger point massage can help you manage chronic pain.
- Wear lightweight clothing for this type of massage.
- Reflexology focuses on pressure points in your feet, hands, and ears.
- This is a good option if you’re uncomfortable being touched over your entire body. You can also be fully clothed during this type of massage.
- Shiatsu is a good option if you’re looking for a relaxing massage. It may also help release minor tension.
- You can be fully clothed during this type of massage.
- Thai massage is more active than other forms of massage, and the therapist will stretch your body in addition to providing a massage.
- This is another type of massage where you remain fully clothed.
- Prenatal massage is a good option for pregnant women.
- This type of massage focuses on gentle pressure and is good for relaxation and mild tension relief.